[Tkinter-discuss] tkinter: screenmmwidth

Josef Gabriel josefg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 07:10:08 CET 2013

I am not very familiar with the tkinter source code, please bear with me. I
am using Windows7 Sp1 and python 2.7 on a laptop with no attached display.
The screen specifications are 280 mm. The screen physically measures 275
mm. The screen EDID states 280 mm as well. winfo_screenmmwidth reports 361
mm.

Where does tkinter extract the winfo_screenmmwidth information? I assume
this is through the pywin32 api, but I don't know. I seem to have run into
a dead end because I cannot view the _tkinter module. I assume the _tkinter
module uses the pywin32 api, but I'm not sure where it's getting the
information. I plan on using this data to calculate the pixels per
centimeter (ppcm) for a gui I am writing.

I have written a function to extract the extended display identification
data (EDID) information from the windows registry. Is there anything wroing
with this method?

Thank you in advance.