[triangle-zpug] Jython talk @ TriZPUG meeting, Aug. 28 Tuesday 7 p.m.

Frank Wierzbicki fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 17:21:31 CEST 2007

On 8/24/07, Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu> wrote:
> T. Bryan wrote:
> > I've rearranged my Tuesday so that I can be there.
Pressure :)

> > As a mostly Java
> > developer, I have always thought that Jython was really cool.  :)
Too bad it is so hard to make a living outside of Java development
around here -- but lately the language choices on the JVM have been
improving dramatically.  JRuby and to a lesser extent Groovy and Scala
have the spotlight now, but Jython is going to be in there as well now
that we have a new release out.

> This Jython release *is* really cool, too. Generator, iterators, new
> style classes. It's like real Python with Swing and super-duper web
> services.
These are the reasons I got involved with Jython development a few
years back.  Jython 2.1 felt so limited compared to the then current
Python 2.3.  Now that new style classes are in Jython I think really
catching up is within reasonable reach.  We're are most likely to
target 2.5 with the next release.

-Frank