[triangle-zpug] What Plone doc should I read?

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Wed Jul 4 23:23:57 CEST 2007

Hi all -

Regarding my attempt to install and configure Plone for the first time -

Plunging ahead, I used the Plone 2.5.3 unified unix installer from
http://plone.org/products/plone. Installation went fine, the server starts
fine, and I can log into the manager using the generated admin password. I
even figured out how to change the admin password.

What next? I figured that the definitive Plone book referenced on the
trizpug website would tell me exactly what to do... but it doesn't.
Unfortunately, it has several bold warnings like this:

    "This book is out of date and is not being updated. The examples may or
    may not work.  For more information see
    http://www.agmweb.ca/plone/book/unsupported.html"

Attempting to read and follow the directions anyway, I see that the
disclaimer is no joke. The book really is out of date. I can't even get off
of the dime and "add" a Plone site, because "Plone Site" doesn't show up in
the dropdown list. Poking around it seems like Plone is installed in the
Products directory...

The FAQs and HowTos at plone.org didn't get me over this hump.

The Tutorials at http://learnplone.org/documentation/tutorial assume the
Plone site has already been set up by someone who knows what he is doing.

So I'm laying this project aside till I can get some help.

Can some kind person can point me to more recent/complete docs? (Now I
understand the need for boot camps and such...)

Thanks, and have a great 4th!
David H