[triangle-zpug] Last night's meeting recap for new Python User Group Blog

Frank Wierzbicki fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 15:52:02 CEST 2007

On 6/28/07, Bradley A. Crittenden <brad.crittenden at gmail.com> wrote:

> You mention Ubuntu, but don't forget that many (most?) other Linux
> distros make extensive use of Python, most notably Red Hat as an
> early example.
Yes, anaconda is written in Python, and there is plenty of Python in
various corners of Red Hat (I've been working at Red Hat for a little
under a year now).  But at least in my corner of Red Hat there is
quite a bias in favor of Java.  I shouldn't complain too much since it
is my Java background that got me my job here, but I am trying to move
some of the people around me to more productive languages  -- maybe
even Jython once we get a final out :).

And yes it seems that Python is becoming the language of choice for
many distros (I know Gentoo also uses it heavily).  I should have
started my list with "here are a couple of them that I have seen: the
whole list is too huge to even begin to catalog...)

-Frank