[triangle-zpug] Last night's meeting recap for new Python User Group Blog

Jim Allman jim at ibang.com
Thu Jun 28 17:58:46 CEST 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 5:35 PM, Chris Calloway wrote:
> I you shared last night, I would appreciate your placing a
> paragraph on
> this list that could be incorporated into a blog post.

This was arguably off-topic, but hopefully useful to others. I spoke
briefly about the "Streamed Lines" website:
	http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/acme/branching/
	http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/acme/branching/patterns.html

This is a pretty sweeping "pattern language" on the dynamics of
branching SCM (aka "version control"). If you're struggling with SCM
in a real-world environment, or suspect you'd get more value from it
if you just had a better mental model, this site is well worth a
look. Some plusses:
	- patterns and terms are memorable, capture important distinctions
(e.g., Codeline, Policy Branch, Integration Line)
	- lots of discussion of ideal vs. practical steps, effects of
culture on SCM and vice versa, business and contractual relationships
	- includes lessons learned (best practices and gotchas) from a wide
variety of projects and environments
	- it's all tool and platform agnostic (incl. some tips on how to use
patterns with RCS :)
	- BONUS: a spiffy, whiteboard-friendly diagramming language for
version trees (example at bottom of the homepage above)

Here's a typical inner page to get the flavor:
	http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/acme/branching/branch-creation.html

I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this site before. If anyone has any
experiences (positive or negative) working with these ideas, I'd love
to hear about it.

   =jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media