[triangle-zpug] Get Up To Speed

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Tue Apr 15 21:03:15 CEST 2008

I have made a change to the Get Up To Speed page on trizpug.org and want
to bring you attention to it (to tell me if I've done anything wrong,
mainly).

http://trizpug.org/up-to-speed/

Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional is now the top
recommendation for a beginning Python book.

A second edition is due out on September 22, 2008.

This change is a result of feedback from several scientists with whom
I've been helping transition to Python. I had them read all three of our
recommendations. While all three are excellent books, the feeling was
that Python for Dummies was *too* basic for the 21st century, while
Beginning Python covered more of what you need to know.

The author, Magnus Lie Hetland, is a long time contributor to the Python
community (like the Python for Dummies author Aahz Maruch) and has a
very interesting one page introduction to Python called Instant Python:

http://hetland.org/writing/instant-python.html

You may particularly enjoy his Jedi Mind Trick at the bottom of the
page, which illustrates very well the dynamic nature of Python (as well
as the superior closure properties of Python).

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.secoora.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530