[triangle-zpug] NOTICE: Meeting day change

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Tue Apr 15 23:12:41 CEST 2008

There were no objections and one positive response after a month long
feedback period to switch TriZPUG monthly meetings to Thursday.

Plus, Paul is able to host on Thursday next week but not Tuesday.

So, shotgun, our next meeting will be on fourth Thursday, April 24, at
Capstrat in Raleigh:

http://trizpug.org/Members/psmith/apr-08-mtg
http://trizpug.org/Members/psmith/capstrat-directions/

The following program has been posted on our site for several weeks:

"TriZPUG April 2008 Meeting: Scientific Python - Remote Sensing and
Ecological Modeling

Josh Gray, a doctoral candidate in the UNC Department of Geography, will
describe a NASA funded ecological investigation which explores methods
of scaling up eddy covariance flux tower estimates of various ecological
parameters, especially those related to carbon and water cycling, to
regional scales. Various remotely sensed images are employed in a novel
model which estimates evapotranspiration for the Eno River Watershed in
Durham and Orange Counties. Originally the workflow was entirely Matlab
based. This user has found that the Python combination of numpy, pylab,
and gdal has provided a full replacement and increased efficiency and
portability."

If you have something you'd like to talk about, bring it. Tell us what
you've been doing with Python or what you've discovered about Python.
Show and tell. No tip too small. We can have as many lightning talks as
you'd like to stick around for. Don't ask for permission. Just announce
it or bring it on. We operate on the shotgun rules for meetings. Call
shotgun!

Shotgun: To compliment Josh's talk, if there is time, I may tell you
about what I've done recently with pylab (this is follow up to the Sodar
processing code I showed you last fall):

http://nccoos.org/platforms/sodar/

and/or what I've done recently with pydap (example with NWS METAR data):

http://whewell.marine.unc.edu/dods/nws_metar/proc_data/latest_v2.0/

Both of the above run in virtualenvs with their own linkage to private
Fortrans, etc.

The pydap DODS server uses pyNGL (Python NCAR Graphics Library) from the
Earth System Grid:

http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/
http://www.earthsystemgrid.org/

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.secoora.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530