[TriZPUG] Jython and Eclipse [was: Can we change our name?]

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Wed Nov 11 18:03:38 CET 2009

Frank Wierzbicki wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:31 AM, T. Bryan <tbryan at python.net> wrote:
>> I got Jython checked out, and I think that I set up a functioning Eclipse
>> project with it.  It was pretty straightforward, and I updated the Jython
>> wiki with the steps that I used.  I still need to poke around a bit more,
>> but I'm going to see what writing an Eclipse plug-in in Jython is like.
>> (Someone asked about it at the October meeting.)

> Let me know how that goes or if you have any trouble (I'm not at all
> familiar with Eclipse plugins, but I can help with Jython questions :)

Hey, thanks.  Yeah, I know a lot about plug-in development.  Most of it just
involves knowing the Eclispe APIs, but the tricky part is setting up the
plug-in project correctly so that Eclipse can generate the plug-in and run
it.  I normally rely on Eclipse to do that, but that's all set up for a Java
project, of course.

So, it may take me a while to figure out how to get all of these plug-in
pieces working with Jython in the mix.  I don't have a reason to do it other
than that I thought it would be kind of cool.  :)  I probably need to look
at the Jython docs and create a couple of standalone Jython apps first.
Then, at least, I'll know a little bit more about how running Jython on the
JVM.

If this works, then it should be possible to create a new project type for
Eclipse that would be a Jython Eclipse Plug-in Project.

My interest is actually more along the lines of Eclipse Monkey, which was
sort of like Firefox's Grease Monkey for Eclipse.  It was announced at
EclipseCon in 2007, I think.  There was even a PythonMonkey version of it:
http://code.google.com/p/jrfonseca/wiki/PythonMonkey.  From what I'm
reading, it looks like the larger project died, but it should be possible to
make something like this work.

I think that the problem is that hard-core Eclipse developers are
comfortable enough using Java.  There's no reason to script the platform in
other languages.  So, I think that many of them aren't interested in it.  On
the other hand, it seems like end users would be very happy to have an easy
way to tweak things without creating an entire plug-in project in Java.

We'll see.  It should be a small enough effort just to see a Jython Eclipse
plug-in go and to document something for other Jython users to follow in the
future.

I let you know if I get stuck,
---Tom