[TriZPUG] News, Notes, and Announcements

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Feb 26 22:13:54 CET 2010

Please welcome David Ray to Planet TriZPUG (http://planet.trizpug.org/).
David recently came to the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
from The Center for Open and Sustainable Learning at Utah State
University, where David was a principal developer of eduCommons
(http://educommons.com/), an OpenCourseWare (http://ocwconsortium.org/)
management system implemented in Plone. David's blog is Enrage Timer
(http://enrage-timer.com/).

And David, thanks for the network tether last night.

I, too, am most eager for Python Hack Nights. So eager, I posted it here
and made Mark the owner:

http://trizpug.org/Members/markdlavin/phn-10-03-11/

Mark, thanks so very much for calling shotgun on Python Hack Nights. Let
me know if you don't get a trizpug.org password reset email. When you
log in, you will be able to edit the time and place of that posting if
you need to. You will also be able to create and publish new postings in
your folder. If you are wondering what the heck is going on, try looking
at this:
http://www.enfoldsystems.com/assets/user-guide/Users-Guide-To-Plone-2.1.pdf

(Plone is the only CMS with a free user guide, BTW. There is another
edition for Plone 3.)

My Python Hack Night projects (spanning many nights, I'm sure) are going
to be:

1) Create a new workflow for trizpug.org Event items which allows
pinning some events to the top of Planet TriZPUG by start date while
allowing others to flow down the page by publication date.

2) Create for myself a blog with Django. Candidates are Mingus,
blogmaker, Byteflow, and Banjo.

3) Port trizpug.org to Plone 4.

4) Work on my friend's crazy ocean model transformation software.

Thanks to Kurt for the very cozy meeting space last night. 27 attendees
is a new monthly meeting record.

Gary Poster, if you will send me your presentation from last night, I
will get it up on trizpug.org. Or, if you tell me your preferred userid,
I will create a userid for you on trizpug.org and you can post it yourself.

Future reference: we sometimes have either projector or network problems
at meetings. If you have a meeting presentation, try to have it on a USB
key in PDF or S5 form just in case. Everybody can play those.

Thanks to your facilitators (Brad, Mike, Paul) being very organized this
year, we can announce the next meeting a month early:

http://trizpug.org/Members/mrevoir/mar-10-mtg/

Frank Wierzbicki, lead committer for Jython (http://jython.org/), will
demonstrate web systems integration testing with Selenium
(http://seleniumhq.org/) and Sauce (http://saucelabs.com/). Selenium is
a suite of tools specifically for testing web applications in the
browser. Sauce IDE and Remote Client automate Selenium tests "in the
cloud" across the ten most popular browsers, providing video of test
results. Tests can be recorded from mouse movements and keyboard
strokes, or scripted Pythonically. If you develop web applications, you
do not want to miss this presentation. As always, lightning talks of ten
minutes or less are also welcome. Anything you've learned about Python,
no matter how trivial, can be a lightning talk. Mike Revoir hosts at the
spacious Duke University North Pavillion
(http://trizpug.org/Members/mrevoir/duke_lllh_logistics) where there is
plenty of directly adjacent free parking.

Some links from last night:

PyCon slides:
http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/talks/ (click on the little
document-like icon beside each talk title)

The Mighty Dictionary Slides:
http://rhodesmill.org/brandon/static/2010/pycon-mighty-dictionary/
(special thanks for Brandon Craig Rhodes for the direct link; not
available at the PyCon above link)

PyCon Video:
http://pycon.blip.tv/
http://pycon.blip.tv/posts?view=archive
http://pycon.blip.tv/search?q=pycon2010

Buildout:
http://www.buildout.org/
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout
http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=search&term=buildout (enormous
list of buildout recipes, tools, etc)

Packing and Distribution:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip

SauceLabs:
http://saucelabs.com/

PyIMSL:
http://www.vni.com/products/imsl/pyimslstudio/overview.php

VisTrails:
http://www.vistrails.org/

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.secoora.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530