[TriZPUG] Open-Source Licenses - what do you like to use and why?

Josh Johnson josh_johnson at unc.edu
Fri Apr 15 21:52:59 CEST 2011

On 04/15/2011 02:53 PM, Bradley A. Crittenden wrote:

> My advice is to first realize that the license is a contract and if you want it to be enforceable it needs to be airtight and tested.  If you are not an IP lawyer you probably should not be writing licenses.
My contact at the office of legal council offered to look over anything
we're considering, but it's not required. That said, I have no intention
of writing my own, I think there's a lot of really good options that
exist already.

> Your subject says "open source licenses" but then the list of things you say you don't care about are contradictory to recognized open source licensing.
I guess what I was trying to get across is I didn't want to talk about
the open source movement, just licensing source code so people could use it.

I read somewhere (can't find the ref right now :/) that code *must* be
licensed in one way or another or people aren't allowed, legally, to use
it. That, coupled with the liability requirement, are my main
motivations at this point.

Whether someone is not allowed to create commercial derivatives, is
required to license derivative work in a similar way, attribute credit,
be technology-neutral, etc, are more tangential at this point.

They are concerns, however. I do care about these things. I was just
trying to avoid IP policy debates.

> I hope you'll post again when your work is released.  It is nice that UNC makes it somewhat easy for you.

Definitely. I was pleasantly surprised with the process.

Two of the apps in question are the management tool I'm presenting on at
the next meeting, and the core facility management app I'm presenting at
the Plone Symposium East this year.

I've also got buildout recipes and a micorarray data library, and we're
going to have some WSGI middleware as a byproduct of the mouse colony
database we're developing right now.

I'm going to do write ups in my blog and will make announcements on the
list as they get released.

Thanks!
JJ

--