[TriZPUG] TriZPUG reminder - meeting this Thursday

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 12:55:23 CET 2012

The UNC classroom meeting place was very nice in many ways:  plenty of
room, nice desks, and a fantastic computer projection screen.  The
difficulty finding it (and getting there on a game night) was the worst
problem..  However, one other surprising (to me) disappointment about the
UNC meeting location was the lack of Internet access.

There were three visible wireless SSIDs, all with strong signals:
"UNC-Setup" -- open, but I couldn't do anything but ping the gateway
"UNC-1" -- need passphrase
"UNC-Secure" -- need passphrase

Reading on the UNC web site, it appears that they try very hard to limit
access to "members of the UNC community" (which doesn't include the NC
taxpayers who merely pay much of the bill).  Apparently, they go to the
remarkable trouble of keeping a campus-wide database of authorized MAC
addresses, and their DHCP servers are configured to access this database
and block access from unauthorized MAC addresses: http://help.unc.edu/4924

Even wired access is apparently blocked through this mechanism, which would
seem to rule out my 2nd thought, which was to just bring a wireless router
to the meetings and plug it in somewhere.

So, if we need Internet access for a presentation, is there a good solution
to this problem?  (Programming a router to spoof some MAC address in the
database doesn't seem like a "good" solution!)