[TriZPUG] Blocky vs Scratch

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Sep 5 16:50:37 CEST 2014

On 9/4/2014 10:44 PM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> I think the Blocky site is more difficult because it poses actual
> problems to be solved, rather than providing a free-form play
> environment like Scratch.

Agree. I've gotten to observe three Young Coders events now. Some of you
have more experience because you've actually led Young Coders events
whereas I've only watched. But at each of the events I observed, the
kids did not stick to the program. Once they found something they could
manipulate without further instruction, they were off to the races. The
instructors had a hard time keeping up. Directing kids' attentions down
a particular path is a pretty tough thing to do.

I think you have to wait for kids to come back to you and ask why
something didn't work or how do they do something they haven't learned
yet. And it has to be something they come up with, not the thing you
want them to learn. Unless it's a mutual play situation where you share
a thing you created alongside and they are then wowed and want to know
how they can do it.

Frequent sharing may be a win if it's not the kind of sharing where one
kid is so outstanding that it makes the others feel inadequate. Blockly
does a nod to the sharing thing by allowing you to export the output of
a program you made to Reddit (although if I had kids I wouldn't let them
anywhere near Reddit).

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway, Applications Analyst
UNC Renaissance Computing Institute
100 Europa Drive, Suite 540, Chapel Hill, NC 27517
(919) 599-3530