[TriPython] Debugging Hung Python Processes Talk Proposal

Brian Bouterse bmbouter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 14:09:38 EST 2016

Hi TriPython!

I'm new to the TriPython community, but I'm looking to get more involved.
I've been preparing a talk on using GDB to debug Python code. I see the Feb
slot is open. If it is deemed appropriate I would like to give the talk
then.

Title:   Debugging Hung Python Processes

=== Abstract ===
When things go wrong in production, it can be necessary to troubleshoot
problems where they occur, instead of in a development environment. In
those situations having a working knowledge of GDB, GDB Python Extensions,
and strace is very helpful. This will show some simple techniques to get
insight into those situations.

This talk outlines a variety of debugging techniques for connecting to an
already running, "stuck", or deadlocked Python process using GDB.

Together we will:

* Inspect the current state of threads with and without the help of the new
GDB macros for Python.
* Inspect a local running process and a core dump collected from a remote
machine.
* Use strace to gather system call information about a process.
* Discuss the SIGTRAP handler as a proactive way to make rpdb available
in-production.

=== Bio ===
Brian Bouterse is a Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat in Raleigh, North
Carolina. He is a developer on Pulp [0] which is written in Python and
deploys Python software among other types (rpm, puppet, docker, etc). He
also is a contributor to the Kombu [1] project. Brian loves open source
because he loves freedom, collaboration, and choice. He is a Computer
Science PhD candidate at North Carolina State University where he studies
capacity planning and performance analysis. He lives in Raleigh near NCSU
with his wife Katie and his cat Schmowee (my github pic).

[0]: http://www.pulpproject.org/
[1]: http://kombu.readthedocs.org/

-Brian

--