[TriPython] September meeting: Deep processing of ridiculously large images

Calloway, Chris cbc at unc.edu
Tue Sep 10 12:49:08 EDT 2019

Thank you, Eric!

I'm going to add to your brief bio that you are the very gracious host of out Durham Project Nights. (

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
Applications Analyst
University of North Carolina
Renaissance Computing Institute
(919) 599-3530

On 9/10/19, 12:46 PM, "TriZPUG on behalf of Eric Thomson" <trizpug-bounces+cbc=unc.edu at python.org on behalf of thomson at neuro.duke.edu> wrote:

    September meeting topic:

    Deep processing of ridiculously large images
    Object detection algorithms with convolutional neural networks (CNNs) are typically applied to small images, usually smaller than 1000 x 1000 pixels. If an image is larger than this, often it will be scaled down to the "right" size, but what if scaling your images down would erase the most crucial details? Because of these concerns, I have recently been adapting CNN-based object detection algorithms to data acquired from images that are on the order of 10k x 10k pixels (100 megapixels).

    In this talk, I will give an introduction to new imaging technology we have been working on to acquire this data (basically it is a compound eye like you find in the insect world, but made out of cameras). I will then give a quick beginner-friendly overview of neural networks, deep learning, and CNNs. Then, I will describe the tensorflow-based pipeline I've developed to automatically annotate the ridiculously large images that we acquire using the new tech.

    Bio
    I work in Duke as a Research Scientist in neurobiology. I currently am working on a large-scale imaging system that lets you collect data from lots of cameras, stitch them together, and then analyze the data.