[Tutor] Information

David Ascher da@ski.org
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 22:22:13 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Dave Brener wrote:

> I am new to the Python programming language, and have
> no experience in programming at all.  Where should I
> begin?  Are there any books out there to help me?

Browse the web pages starting under

   http://www.python.org/doc/

for some pointers.  I'd recommend looking especially at

   http://www.python.org/doc/Intros.html

and some of the introductions to Python in there.

The most appropriate book currently available is probably _Learning
Python_, which I coauthored, but it was not designed as a textbook to
teach programming, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was too hard to use as
your sole reference.  I would suggest browsing it in a bookstore to see if
it might be helpful anyway.  It is described, along with others, at:

   http://www.python.org/doc/Books.html

Other than that, I'd suggest asking more questions here -- we'll be glad
to help.

--David Ascher

Obvious disclaimer applies.