[Tutor] Initializing Tupples

Jonathon jblake@stamp-coin.com
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:46:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Joseph J. Strout wrote:

>So there must be a difference between what you're telling us, and

	Source code from the program I am writing is available at
	http://www.stamp-coin.com/python/script-error/index.html

>copy of Python is seriously screwed up (unlikely).  Or, this error
>occurs not on the code you gave us, but on later code where you try
>to...

	Possible.

>Well, you can't.  You need to use a list for that; tuples are immutable.

	Let's see if I understand the difference between lists and
	tuples.

	Once a Tuple is created, it can not be changed.
	Once a List is created, both it, and its contents can
	be changed --- increased, decreased etc.

	IE:

	Example_Tuple = ( "joe"0, "curly", "moe" )
	and Example_Tuple retains that value for the duration
	of the program.

	Example_List = [ "joe", "curly", "moe" ]

	Example_List[0] = "larry"

	Changes the 0 element to larry.

        Example_List.insert(3, "joe")

	Adds "joe" to the list, as the third element.

	Example_List[3] = 2

	Makes that a number, instead of a string.

	<< All this appears to work at the python prompt. >>

	xan

	jonathon