[Tutor] how do I get the python GUI to work

G. Norton strat_addict@yahoo.com
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:45:48 -0700 (PDT)

--- Billy <watchman1@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> I am running win98 when I click on the python GUI
> icon the hard drive try to
> work but the GUI never comes up
> Billy Estes

                        Billy,
                             I also have Windows98 and had the same
problem.The problem is with your path.I don't know if this is "The" way
do fix it but it worked for me.What I did was uninstall everything, set
the path and reinstalled.Everything works fine now.I don't know your
programming background, but just in case you don't know what i'm
talking about I'll try to save you a few emails and some headache time
and explain path now.(If you do, ignore the rest of this) BUT:

click start
go to Run
and type  sysedit
    the first window you should see is C:\\Autoexec.bat
this is where you set your path.This is my path:(I don't recommend
cutting and pasting.Type it in to play it safe!)

set PYROOT=c:\PROGRA~1\Python
PATH %PYROOT%;%PATH%
set
PYTHONPATH=.;%PYROOT%;%PYROOT%\lib;%PYROOT%\lib\plat-win;%PYROOT%\lib\lib-tk;%PYROOT%\PIL;%PYROOT%ext\pyds;%PYROOT%ext\lib;
set TCL_LIBRARY=%PYROOT%\tcl8.0\library
set TK_LIBRARY=%PYROOT%\tk8.0\library

                         There should be only 6 lines.
From "PYTHONPATH=" to "ROOT%ext\lib;" is one line.
(sorry can't format my email)
Reboot your computer and it should work.
                              Good Luck,
                                   G.Norton