[Tutor] Classes!Classes!Classes!

Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:09:25 -0600 (CST)

    RP> I have studied and studied from books, tutorials and other such
    RP> materials and have yet to figure how to use classes and what they
    RP> do. I begin to understand and then there comes a concept that
    RP> totally stumps me.

You asked basically the same question just over a month ago (clipped from my
response at that time):

    RP> Hello, I am experiencing trouble understanding classes. I don't
    RP> understand how they work, what they do and their purpose in
    RP> general.

A couple people responded as I recall.  Can you refine your request beyond
what you asked then so that perhaps we can do a better job pinpointing your
difficulties?

That said, I will quote part of my previous post on this subject:

    There is a subtle shift in perspective from an action-centered view of
    things to a data-centered view of things that takes place somewhere
    along the way.  When that happens I think most people have an "aha!"
    sort of experience.  It suddenly gels and many problems seem to
    decompose naturally into objects.  Until then (and perhaps frequently
    after) the world still looks like a bunch of functions with data getting
    passed around as an afterthought.

It would seem you haven't hit the "aha!" point yet.  It takes awhile.  Go
back and continue to study some simple examples.

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...