[Tutor] Python

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 11:54:00 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, Warren 'The Howdy Man' Ockrassa wrote:

> Sam LeFlore wrote:
>
> > I would like to have recommendations on which version of Linux to purchase.
>
> Red Hat seems to be the most popular, partly I guess because of name
> presence, and partly because it makes admin relatively easy.
>
> I've heard good things about SuSE though, as well. What I've found with
> Red Hat is that you need to be careful if you're using relatively new,
> high-end, flashy hardware, since odds are pretty good the drivers
> haven't been produced for such stuff yet. So while you might be able to
> get a more or less functional GUI going, you may not be able to take it
> out of 16-color 640x480 mode without a little experimenting with the
> config files for the monitor card.

While I personally love SuSE and have been using it as my creature comfort
distro for a long time, y'all might consider the new Corel distro. It
looks like it has everything SuSE does and is wrapped around Debian which
has cool tools like:

apt-get dist-upgrade

...for upgrading everything at once. :)

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.net   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"Mars has been a tough target" -- Peter G. Neumann, Risks Digest Moderator