[Tutor] compile

Max M. Stalnaker stalnaker@acm.org
Mon, 31 May 1999 22:45:19 -0700

What you want to do is to "freeze" your program.  First thing to ask yourself is
"do you have MSVC++ 5.0?".  6.0 should work too.  If not, then for our purposes,
you cannot do it.  Suppose you have that compiler.  Then you have a set of sub
projects to perform.

1) you need to be a little comfortable using the c++ compiler (optional).
2) you need to download the python source
3) compile it to prove you can (optional, but a good test that the compiler is
setup right)
4) read the txt file and the html in tools/freeze, which you downloaded with the
source (optional)
5) use python and freeze.py on your little program
    python freeze.py littleprogram.py
6) compile the results
    nmake
7) test it.

Since this is a first language tutorial, chances are you do not have the vc++
compiler.   On the other hand, if you do, sometimes it is as simple as the above.
Main issues are getting vc++ to work, and cluttering up your source tree, which is
bad for future compiles.  The above purposely did not deal with specifying where
the freeze.py puts the source.  Also, freezing has limitations on win machines.
But these are outside the scope of this note.  See the doc.