[Tutor] Help with ARGV parsing

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan@callware.com
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 08:48:29 -0600

Hi All00

Jerry Alexandratos wrote:

> I'm new to Python.  But I really like what I see so far.  I'm looking to
> write and rewrite some scripts.  I'm having some trouble trying to
> figure out how to parse command-line arguments under Python.
>
> Can anyone provide me with some pointers?
>
> Thanks in advance...

Try downloading getargspy.zip from

	http://www.pauahtun.org/ftp.html

(near the bottom of the page).  Read the docstrings in the supplied
module, which gives you not only instructions on how to use getargs.py
but a (brief) introduction to command-line parsing.  I'm trying to put
together an HTML page for just getargs, which will be clearer (and more
tutorial-like) than the present docstrings.  Give it a try.

<shameless-self-promotion>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan@callware.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70