[Tutor] Children of all ages

Arthur Siege;l siegel@eico.com
Mon, 08 Mar 1999 09:57:15 -0500

>Welcome all -- David is about half my age and has been prgramming probably
five times as long as I have. I have learned most of what I know about
programming with Python, and DA's PyOpenGL over the past few years. Somehow
I think graphics programming is a great place to start - particularly for
kid's. The fact that objects appear as objects - on the screen - helps to
make the process a bit less abstract. The beauty of Python, as a scripting
language and in interactive mode, is that it allows one to futz around -
great for learning. While I can now claim to grasp the basics of OOP and
have a handle around Python as a tool for further exploration, there as
still some basics I haven't gotten to. But what I want to explore is less
Python or any specfic syntax, but broader areas of technological ignorance.
Python is the tool that will allow me to explore. What I am not sure of is
the appropriateness of this approach to the founding concept of this list.
For example - sockets. I haven't a clue. Other than knowing that it is a
basic technology of the web. If it is an appropriate question here, how
might I use Python to get a grasp of the area??