[Tutor] Purpose of this list (was: Listing web contents)

Christian Tismer tismer@appliedbiometrics.com
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 16:17:14 +0100

[contents dropped]
Guido:
> PS.  To the tutors.  I see no significant difference between the tutor
> list and the help list.  Perhaps tutor should be merged back into
> help?

I don't think so.
Python-help is anonymous. Its purpose is to help people
with advice anonymously. After a helper has taken his
hand, the rest of the conversation will usually disappear.

Tutor has a slightly different purpose. Besides helping
people, we also try to leave the conversations as a useful
archive, which could serve as a basis for more. This could
finally be material for some cookbook. (Python a'la carte).
I don't just see it as help, but as a collection.

For me this makes very much sense. The tutors are all suffering
from being too experienced to imagine beginners problems.
Offering a list where everybody is invited to ask any question
brings things to mind which have vanished for a long time.

Example: I would never think of writing about how to
parse two integers from the command line if the question
was not here. It encourages us to write some pieces of prose,
instead of these short "ack - use int()" answers.
I really do think about a book.

cheers - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>