[Tutor] Re: super classes

Art Siegel ajs@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:52:19 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph J. Strout <joe@strout.net>
To: Art Siegel <ajs@ix.netcom.com>; Python Tutor <tutor@python.org>
Date: Saturday, March 27, 1999 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Re: super classes

>A superclass is the parent of some other class, i.e., the class from which
>it is derived.

Now that I understand the terminology, a few more questions:

Java has a "super" function, I believe, which I assume allows one to
directly access methods of the parent class from inside the child class.

Under what circumstances is it useful? Aren't, by definition, the parent's
method already at the disposal of the child?

What is the Python equivalent to the java super call?

This is all coming up as I try to understand some java code and port it to
Python.