[Tutor] what to do with python

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan@callware.com
Tue, 18 May 1999 16:03:27 -0600

Hi All--

Ron Fountain wrote:

> I would like to write scripts that will backup various files, either on the
> linux box or through the network(grabbing files from other nodes).  I would
> also like to setup a script that would be able to "route" data files
> according to what kind of file they are.  If file = "A" then go here...if
> file = "B" then do this --type of thing.
>
> Is python what i would use, or something else?

Python would be ideal for something like this.  If the ``other nodes''
are things like NT or Windows, you'd probably have to do some tricks
(run an ftp server on them, etc.), but this sort of thing is emininently
doable.  I would suggest that you obtain Mark Lutz' _Programming Python_
from O'Reilly--he focuses on similar scripting chores, which if not
directly applicable would certainly give you pointers.  Make sure you
have the _Python Pocket Reference_ to go with it, though.

<pp&ppr>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan@callware.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70