[Tutor] Is python just a scripting language?

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 10:19:21 -0000

> I´m looking at sources of programs in python and I noticed
> that there are just scripts written in python. Can't I
> compile in an executable file?

You should find more than just scripts.
There should be compiled scripts too - files ending in .pyc

These load slightly faster than scripts and can be distributed
if, for some reason, you want to protect your source code from
scrutiny.

The freeze tool for producing executables is somewhat limited
and produces rather big files since, as far as I can tell,
it basically bundles up the interpreter and all required units
into a big binary! (I think its only for Windows too)

Alan G.