[Tutor] little pythons

Evgeny Roubinchtein eroubinc@u.washington.edu
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:01:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

>I used LOGO to teach a 14 year old and it was quite successful.
>Unfortunately LOGO is more like LISP than any of the 'normal'
>languages so making the transition to VB or even Python is a
>big jump...

But seeing past the syntax of the language at hand and learning to
appreciate the concepts involved might be a good practice -- maybe not
to begin with.

>> (and links to download them).  Pyhon does have a turtle module, so dear to
>
>Oh dear, I know Turtle graphics started with Logo but Logo is
>much more than that. It is a full list prpocessing language
>like lisp. The turtle graphics are only one small part
>and pretty boring in my experience unless you have one of
>the proper turtle robots that crawls over the floor!

So, I am curious, what ideas do you have in mind for teaching programming
to a 12-year old with Python?  I am reasonably certain Python is flexible
enough to do just about anything you can do in LOGO or LISP.  What's wrong
with translating a LOGO book into Python, for instance?

--
Evgeny Roubinchtein, eroubinc@u.washington.edu
DO: Deadstart Operator