[Tutor] Why doesn't this work??

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:30:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Daniel Yoo wrote:

> Mod actually does work on floating point numbers.  The problem that
> you're encountering has to do with limited precision.  That is, the
> larger the number becomes, the less precise the number becomes.

Let's put it this way: if the results aren't reliable, it doesn't *work.*
OK? :) It's one of those things like comparing floating point numbers that
appear equal (but aren't) that will get you in a world of hurt if you make
assumptions. Much better to use ONLY integers with functions like mod.

"We can always count on the British. Except for the Revolutionary War
they've been perfect." -- Mel Brooks, on the first Concorde flight since
the Paris crash.