[Tutor] Tkinter GUI w/o DOS window

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 01:49:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, David Jansen wrote:

> I went through Alan Gauld's tutorial a few weeks back and the last
> section shows us a Tkinter GUI for a simple word counting program. It
> works fine but everytime I run the program, an empty DOS window pops
> up in the background... Is there a way to fire up the GUI by itself? I
> realize I could run it from Pythonwin or IDLE but that wouldn't really
> solve anything. I know this is an OS specific problem but maybe
> someone else is still using Windows?

Good evening!  Let's see, in this case, you'll want to use pythonw.exe.
pythonw is a Windows-specific Python exectuable that's meant to run
gui-based programs --- it doesn't bring up a console window.  Take a look
at:

  http://linuxboy.net/python/006/

for details on this.

From what I saw on python.faqts, there might be some issues with pythonw
(since you have no console, this might make debugging more difficult), so
you might want to take a look at faqts to see how people deal with these
issues.

  http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/index.phtml/fid/199/lang/

Good luck!