[Tutor] Hello.

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:43:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Bryan Jeffrey wrote:

>     Hello, I'm attempting to learn Python on the advice of a friend.  I
> already know quite a bit of C++, and am interested in learning other
> languages.
> Is there a compiler for Python?  Where can I find it?  Where can I find
> a few *good* examples of Python source?

Dear Brian,

Good afternoon!  You can get the Python interpreter at the Downloads
section in:

You'll probably want to explore the rest of the www.python.org site, since
it has a LOT of information, introductions, and tutorials.

Python's an interpreted language, so you won't need to worry about
compiling stuff --- it'll automatically byte-compile if it needs to.
Since you've already had programming experience, I think you'll find the
official tutorial to be pretty good:

Examples of Python code can be found at the Vaults of Parnassus, which is
the Python repository.

Also, when you install Python, it also comes with most of the module
source code.  Source code has a .py extension, so you can look through the
Lib directory for "official" examples.

Good luck!