[Tutor] Hello.

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:43:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Bryan Jeffrey wrote:

>     Hello, I'm attempting to learn Python on the advice of a friend.  I
> already know quite a bit of C++, and am interested in learning other
> languages.
>
> Is there a compiler for Python?  Where can I find it?  Where can I find
> a few *good* examples of Python source?

Dear Brian,

Good afternoon!  You can get the Python interpreter at the Downloads
section in:

  http://www.python.org/download/

You'll probably want to explore the rest of the www.python.org site, since
it has a LOT of information, introductions, and tutorials.

Python's an interpreted language, so you won't need to worry about
compiling stuff --- it'll automatically byte-compile if it needs to.
Since you've already had programming experience, I think you'll find the
official tutorial to be pretty good:

  http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

Examples of Python code can be found at the Vaults of Parnassus, which is
the Python repository.

  http://www.vex.net/parnassus/

Also, when you install Python, it also comes with most of the module
source code.  Source code has a .py extension, so you can look through the
Lib directory for "official" examples.

Good luck!