[Tutor] A few newbie questions about Tkinter (disregard previous)

Joseph Stubenrauch nothingisgoingtochangemyworld@yahoo.com
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:10:41 -0700 (PDT)

(warning, longish question)

Hello all,

First, I'd like to thank everyone for the help I have
received so far on this list.

I started using python to make a program that
simulates "flash cards" for the French, German, and
Latin classes I am taking in college.  I am running
Python on a windows 95 box.  The program so far allows
the user to choose a vocabulary list (for instance,
German Vocab Chapter 14), and then presents the user
with the words in random order.  When the correct
translation in english is entered, the word is removed
from the vocab list.  If not, the word remains in the
list to be randomly asked later.  Once the user has
correctly translated all the words, a score is
presented totalling how many words were asked, how
many times the user was incorrect, and which words
were missed, etc.

The program works fine and dandy for me.  However, my
German Professor has offered to hire me to fine tune
the program and add GUI to it so that other students
can use it.  (When I gave the program to others
students just as an EXE file, they had problems
copying from disk into a directory, so I need to make
things SIMPLE and point-click-easy).

SOOOOO ... (yeah, the question finally!), I have
started to try and add GUI to the program.  However, I
am encountering trouble and would appreciate it if
someone can point me in the right direction.

I am trying to make a dialogue box pop up with a word
randomly chosen from a list.  Below is an entry
widget.  The user then enters the answer.  If the
answer is correct, a third dialogue box below says
"correct" and the word is removed from the list.  The
entry field clears.  And the first dialogue box then
displays another randomly chosen word.  I have had no
problem with getting it to run through once, but I
can't figure out how to make it destroy or change the
first dialogue box for the next word in the list.  I
am a bit confused, I suppose, as to how things work in
the "loop" of Tkinter ... where to place methods,
commands, etc.

Any suggestions?  Perhaps just some pseudo-code to
give me some pointers?

Additionally, is it possible to have the cursor jump
from entry widget to entry widget when the user
presses "tab"?  I have been looking about to see if
this is possible but I am not sure yet.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Sorry the question
was so long winded, though I still have the feeling I
wasn't clear enough.

Cheers,

Joe