[Tutor] Parsing Strings

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:37:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Perry, George W. wrote:

> Is there a module with functionality similar to the REXX parse statement?

I'm not familiar with REXX's parse statement.  I took a look at:

  http://www.spnc.demon.co.uk/rexx/rexcmdbd.htm

to get a feel for what the parse command does.  From what it looks like,
you could possibly use string.split(), but that's an unsatisfactory
answer.  There is no built-in that does all that REXX's parse does,
unfortunately.

However, this will interest you: I did find something by Tim Peters:

  http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/archives/early-poo/000049.html

where he talks about a REXX parse module implementation that he wrote.
You might want to talk to him about it.  The source code looks like it's
all there, so you should be able to work with it.