[Tutor] Problem running idle in windows

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 14:18:56 -0400

[John Seymour]
> I am haveing a problem getting Idle to work properly on my windows
> system. Any help will be appreciated.
> I have downloaded python 1.52 for windows. I have windows 98SE. The
> program runs fine but every time I close Idle I get an invalid page
> fault in arhook32.dll.

Sounds annoying but harmless to me.  Do yourself a favor and try to live
with it:  tracking down Windows conflicts can consume your life <0.4 wink>.

> I have done some traceing in system information and arhook32.dll is
> listed as a system hook. The file belongs to earthlink5.0.

Probably explains why I've never heard of this before!  It's probably a
conflict between the Earthlink software and the Tk display routines (which
are what draw the IDLE windows), and would require a bona fide Tk expert's
help to resolve.  Here in Pythonland, we don't write Tk (Scriptics does), we
just use it <wink>.

> I am running a dual boot system with windows and linux. I can use
> python fine in linux, but would like to be able to use it in windows
> also. Thank you.

If you don't have any real use for the earthlink stuff, uninstalling it will
probably make the problem go away.  Else, as above, you need to find someone
expert in the internals of both arhook32.dll and Tk; Python almost certainly
has nothing to do with this (and I assume you can run Python scripts fine
from a DOS box, right?).