[Tutor] Solved Int to String/Problem about Overwriting

Albert Antiquera gundamone@hotmail.com
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 17:19:45 EDT

------=_NextPart_000_1fac_49a2$72f

Hi guys!

  Thanks for the help on that Integer to String conversion(I knew what str()
was but I just forgot all about it;))Anyway, I got the program to work but I
got one more problem: When I say 'n' to the 'save file?' part, it erases
whatever was saved on that file before. I know it has something to do with
the 'open("slope.txt","wb")' part but when I change "wb" to "rb" I get an
error. Here's the code if anybody wants to inspect it (I also put it as an
attachment if you got trouble reading it here):

#!E:/Python/Python.exe
#Author: Albert Antiquera
#Program: Find the slope and Y-intercept (coming)

#IMPORTANT!!!: There is a bug here that I haven't figured out yet: Whwn you
say 'N' to the
#               'save file?' question, it erases whatever was on the file
when you last saved
#               it. I know it got something to do with that first 'open'
command.
import sys

def  slope():
    x1 = input("Enter a value for X1: ")
    x2 = input("Enter a value for X2: ")
    y1 = input("Enter a value for Y1: ")
    y2 = input("Enter a value for Y2: ")
    slp = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)
    conv = str(slp)
    print "The slope is:", conv
    outp = open("slope.txt", "wb") #I HAVE TO FIGURE THIS ONE OUT SO IT
WON'T OVERWRITE"
    val = "-----BEGIN OUTPUT FILE---------------\n"
    val2 ="The Slope is:%s\n"  %(conv,)
    val3 ="------END OUTPUT FILE----------------"
    inp = [val,val2,val3]
    choice = raw_input("Do you want to save the result to a file?(Y or N):")
    if choice == 'y':
        outp.writelines(inp)
        print "1 file was saved!!"
    else: