[Tutor] concerning Monte Python method you suggested for pi, also PiPoem I found

Charles Gruschow, Jr. c.gruschow@prodigy.net
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:15:16 -0500

I did a little statistics on that program.
10000 loops of 10000 "arrows" (used getPi(10000) 10000 times)
It took about 4 hours.
One ?--->why are all our ratios coming out to 3 or 4 digits, is it because
we are dividing by 10000?
This method doesn't seem too accurate or quick, does it.
Thanks,
c.gruschow@prodigy.net

P.S. do do these statistics I pasted output into a text file and then opened
the text file in Excel,I had Excel interpret spaces as the field breaks.

9989 3.1508         average(mean)                                     pi
9990 3.1372             3.14161896
3.141592654
9991 3.1172                 count
100*(ave/pi)
9992 3.1128                 10000
100.0008374
9993 3.158                         max
ave-pi
9994 3.144                         3.2084
2.63064E-05
9995 3.1584                             min
9996 3.1452                            3.0744
9997 3.1476                                 median
9998 3.1376                                 3.142
9999 3.164                                     mode
10000 3.1416                                 #NUM!
                                              standard deviation population
                                                              0.016459693
                                                      variance population
                                                              0.000270921
                                                  ave. absolute deviations
                                                              0.013152446

P.P.S. I found following off Ivan Van Laningham's website for his book
"Teach Yourself Python in 24 hours"(http://www.pauahtun.org/TYPython/)

[

#!/usr/local/bin/python
# Contribution to the forever lasting discussion on indentation!

# After Petrarca, Shakespeare, Milton, Drs. P and many, many others,
# a sonnet has 14 lines and a certain rhyme scheme.

# Jacques Bens presented in 1965 in Paris the pi-sonnet with
# 3,1,4,1 and 5 lines, but the ultimate pi-poem I found in
# Brown's Python Annotated Archives p. 12:

# Based on a algorithm of Lambert Meertens (remember those days of the
# B -> ABC-programming language!!!)

import sys

def main():
    k, a, b, a1, b1 = 2L, 4L, 1L, 12L, 4L
    while 1:
        p, q, k = k*k, 2L*k+1L, k+1L
        a, b, a1, b1 = a1, b1, p*a+q*a1, p*b+q*b1
        d, d1 = a/b, a1/b1
        while d == d1:
            output(d)
            a, a1 = 10L*(a%b), 10L*(a1%b1)
            d, d1 = a/b, a1/b1

def output(d):
    sys.stdout.write(`int(d)`)
    sys.stdout.flush()

main()

# Reading/writing Python source often gives me the impression of
# reading/writing a poem!
# Layout, indentation, rythm, I like the look and feel!

# What does this tiny program do? It is not a sonnet, even not a
# pi-sonnet, but it surely produces Pi!

# The poem ( sorry, the program) needs some explanation.
# As a mathematician I recognize the continued fraction, odd/even,
# squares and all that matters.
# But it is a miracle! A few lines of Python code producing
# a infinity of pi-digits!

# Jaap Spies
# Hogeschool Drenthe

# Keep Peace in Mind