[Tutor] Fortran exe worked! Next,get user's input via WEB?

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:48:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Lin Zhang wrote:

> Thanks Dan. It worked! I was actually in the right
> section of the reference document, but was not literal
> enough to get the right syntax. If only the document
> would give some sample statements! It wouldn't tarnish
> its "academic image", would it?

Hmmm... I guess the reference documentation couldn't hurt with a few
examples.  I think we'd have to talk to the doc-sig people; they're
responsible for the Python documentation.  You can contact them here:

    http://www.python.org/sigs/doc-sig/

> Now eventually I like to collect user input through
> WEB for the fortran exe, execute the exe on the
> server, and return the output in HTML format through
> WEB to the user. This is how I plan to ensure that the
> users always get the official and updated version of
> the program. Is Python equipped to do that? If yes,
> should I go through cgi route or asp route? Just want
> to get some feeling before I start the project and
> really study Python(was thinking about using JAVA).

I believe Python, or another scripting language like Perl, would
work very well.  I'm not so sure about Java --- it's in its own
little Javaverse, and makes it a little harder to play with other
languages.  A glue language, like Python or Perl, would probably be
nicer for this task.

Enough subjective opinions... *grin*  Have you heard of pyfort?  Clever
people have written some python-fortran bindings to make the interaction
between those two languages easier.  Let's see... here's the link:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyfortran

I think it assumes that you have the original Fortran sources
available.  I haven't used it myself, but perhaps it'll be useful for you.

Good luck!