[Tutor] Fortran exe worked! Next,get user's input via WEB?

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:32:17 +0100

> Now eventually I like to collect user input through
> WEB for the fortran exe, execute the exe on the
> server, and return the output in HTML format through
> WEB to the user.

You'll need to use popen() for that.
Its not there in vanilla Python on Windows but ISTR
that the winall package includes a popen implementation.

> the program. Is Python equipped to do that? If yes,

yes, emminently

> should I go through cgi route or asp route?

I'd love a definitive explanation of the relative merits.
I've tried some mental excercises to work out which yields
vest performance under which circumstances but its
non trivial - so many permutations!

I'd tend to go for which ever was most 'natural' on my web
server - thus ASP on IIS and CGI on most anything else.

Another pure python approach is to use zope but it has
a fairly steep learning curve all of its own....

http://www.zope.org/

Alan g.