[Tutor] Errors using Simple.py for executables

Craig Hagerman hagerman@mac.com
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:32:59 +0900

I need help successfully creating an executable Python file (on Windows 98,
using Python 1.5.2). I have been trying to do so using Gordon McMillan's
"Simple.py". (For the record I have had no luck with Freeze or Squeeze
either :( )

At first I thought that I had a problem with module dependencies, but I
can't even get a simple HelloWorld program to turn into an executable. I
will copy the error message below. I am not sure what is wrong but I hope
that someone can point me in the right direction to get Simple working.

Thanks in advance,
Craig Hagerman

The HelloWorld program :

>>>print "Hello World"
>>>print
>>>print "Press any key to continue..."
>>>raw_input()

--------------------------------
Error Message when running %python Simple.py HelloWorld.py
----------------------------------

Creating HelloWorld.exe
    C:\Python\support\Run.exe -> HelloWorld.exe
    C:\WINDOWS/TEMP\~1969873-1 -> HelloWorld.exe
Gathering components of Install_HelloWorld.exe
Analyzing python dependencies of gen_install gen_install.py
Traceback (innermost last):
    File "C:\Python\Builder.py", line 502, in ?
        main(opts, args)
    File "C:\Python\Builder.py", line 484, in main
        target.buildO
    File "C:\Python\Builder.py", line 83, in build
        self.gatherO
    File "C:\Python\Builder.py", line 381, in gather
        FullExeTarget.gather(self)
    File "C:\Python\Builder.py", line 290, in gather
        ArchiveTarget.gather(self)
    File "C:\Python\Builder.py", line 256, in gather
        CollectTarget.gather(self)
    File "C:\Python\Builder.py", line151, in gather
        self.toc.merge([resource.makeresource('python15.dll')])
    File "C:\Python\Builder.py", line 19, in makeresource
        typ, nm, fullname = finder.identify(name,xtrapath)
    File "C:\Python\Builder.py", line 121, in identify
        raise ValueError, "%s not found" % name
ValueError: python15.dll not found