[Tutor] Closing handles (was valueOf() equivalent)

D-Man dsh8290@rit.edu
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 00:05:46 -0500

Since python is interpreted, the interpreter provides you with all the
benefits of a smart run-time system.  The interpreter will close all
file handles (and I imagine network connections too) before
terminating.

Even if you are working in C, file handles are closed by the system
upon exit.  I don't know about the handles on a popen() connection,
though.

In any case it's still good practice to explicitly close all file handles and
network connections before exiting.

HTH,
-D