[Tutor] Beginner's Question

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shaleh@valinux.com
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 12:03:55 -0800 (PST)

On 22-Dec-2000 Bob wrote:
> I am setting out to learn python. I have some books, those from
> O'Reilly and the Quick Pythom Book, and I have found the online
> tutorials, and done Josh Cogliati's. I need to know where to go from
> here, I guess. But what I *really* need are programming projects
> matched to what I have learned so far. Any suggestions, either
> projects or textbooks?
>
> I work in Linux, by the way.

simple ideas for starting any new language:

rewrite something small you already use in the new language.  For instance,
reimplement cat or grep.  You need not fully implement them, just feel like you
can do it without reaching for the book every other line.

write scripts to help you in every day life.  Nothing fancy, just things to
make life easier.  30 minutes of python coding can remove 2 minutes of a
repetitive task which saves time in the long run.

find something written in python and either add features or fix a bug.

try to answer questions here on the list.  By teaching, you learn.