[Tutor] Where to find example source codes?

David Porter jcm@bigskytel.com
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 03:27:17 -0700

* bxuef@freemail.sx.cn <bxuef@freemail.sx.cn>:

>   It is said that the best way of learning a programing language is that
> you read some example souces and write some by your own. My question is
> where can I download some good source codes of Python as resources of
> learning? thank you!

There are a lot of places I'm sure. Here's one, though it's getting a bit old:
http://strout.net/python/tidbits.html

Check out the Vaults for programs that interest you (though many may deal
with complex parts of Python you need not know at first they are still fun
to play with and to illustrate the potential of Python):
http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py

> Do you have any other suggestions for a newbie of python?

I suggest reading an intro tutorial or two(*). This will give you a framework
to place the code you read into. Also, it will help you avoid blind spots. I
highly recommend that you use the python interpreter while studying other
people's code and while reading tutorials. For me, reading something shows
me that it can be done; experimenting with it in the interpreter shows me in
greater detail how it IS done. If I've done something in practice, I also
have a much lower chance of forgetting it.

(*) A great beginner's tutorial is Alan Gauld's "Learning to Program", at
http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/ . After that, a more in depth coverage of
Python is given by the Standard Tutorial at
http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html .

David