[Tutor] Python totorial problems.....

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 20:26:05 -0500

[alan.gauld@bt.com]
> What version of Python do you have, it works for me
> with Python 1.5.2
>
> But OTOH I was not aware of this '_' trick so it might be
> a recent introduction to Python not supported by your version.
>
> [ I learnt Python on v1.3, and am pretty sure this wasn't
>   mentioned anywhere in the docs then... ]
>
> Any of the list guru's like to say when this appeared?

The special meaning of "_" in interactive mode has been in Python since the
first public release; it has always worked from the command line
interpreter, and in IDLE.

Dan's(?) problem is most likely that he's using an old version of PythonWin.
IIRC, PythonWin's interpreter loop didn't implement this at first.  I tried
it under PythonWin build 125 and it works fine now.  So get a more recent
PythonWin, or use IDLE or a straight cmdline interpreter instead.