[Tutor] Persistent store for a single integer

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 15:44:22 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Patrick Phalen wrote:

> The Unique ID is an integer starting at 1000000 and incrementing by 1
> for each new "customer."
>
> So, in other words, when I write the data to the file, I need to
> determine the last-used integer, increment it and concatenate this
> UniqueID to most of the fields.
>
> What is a good persistence model for this integer? A file with a
> mutex/lock? A pickled numeral? These seem kind of expensive.

Actually, I typically use Gadfly (www.chordate.com) for this kind of
thing, especially with my sequence number additions.

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.net   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"Mars has been a tough target" -- Peter G. Neumann, Risks Digest Moderator