[Tutor] A few newbie questions ...

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:36:15 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Joseph Stubenrauch wrote:

> 1.  Can someone point me to the module (if it exists)
> that would allow me to do such C++ type things as
> clearscreen, change the background/foreground colors,
> and especially, a python equivalent of C++'s gotoxy.

Typically, that's a function of the terminal. You don't say what you're
using (Unix or ?), but in Unix that's a function of curses.

> 2.  Is it possible to have input be either a string or
> number, depending on what the user inputs?  In other
> words, I would like to create a menu with options
> #1-4, and option X and Q to quit.  Is that possible?

You can try and convert a string to a number and assume it's a string if
that fails:

a = "foo"
try:
 b = int(a)
except:
 b = a

print b

> I would love any help you can offer.  I just
> downloaded python two days ago and I am LOVING it!

Cool!

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.net   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"Mars has been a tough target" -- Peter G. Neumann, Risks Digest Moderator