[Tutor] 'text editor'

Blake Winton bwinton@tor.dhs.org
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:34:38 -0500

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Doug Stanfield wrote:
> Any word processor is a text editor so you have several to
> choose from; notepad, word pad, or even MS Word.  I wouldn't necessarily
> recommend any of those for programming Python though.

I dunno, Notepad isn't all that bad for editing Python...  :)

> Based on the above assumption, you should know that the Windows
> install of Python has a very good development system that includes
> an editor written in Python by the languages founder.  If you look
> in the directories that were installed by the Python installer
> you'll find 'Tools' with a subdirectory 'idle'.  Within that
> directory is the executable idle.pyw.

As a side note, I believe that when you install Python in Windows, it
puts a link to Idle in the start menu
(i.e. Start >> Programs >> Python >> Idle)
And that might be a better way to get to it than looking through the
file system, especially for someone who's starting Python, and might
not know how to run a .pyw file.

Just a thought,
Blake.
--
12:21pm up 16 days, 17:56, 0 users, load average: 7.08, 7.02, 7.01