[Tutor] Problems installing Python.

Derek Collins Derek.Collins@tellabs.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:43:22 +0000

Hi,

     I'm new to programming and want to try and learn python. After
downloading and uncompressing  the py152.tgz file and running
  ./configure, the last part of the procedure produces the following
output

    creating Makefile
creating Objects/Makefile
Can't open ./Objects/Makefile.in
creating Parser/Makefile
Can't open ./Parser/Makefile.in
creating Python/Makefile
Can't open ./Python/Makefile.in
creating Modules/Makefile.pre
Can't open ./Modules/Makefile.pre.in
creating Modules/Setup.thread
Can't open ./Modules/Setup.thread.in
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged

 Then when I run  make, I get

(cd Modules; make -f Makefile.pre Makefile)
make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `Makefile'
Current working directory /export/home/python/Python-1.5.2/Modules
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Makefiles'

  I'm trying to install pythin on a Sun Ultra 10 running Solaris 7.

  I'd really appreciate any help/assistance with this

 Derek Collins

 dcollins@shannon.tellabs.com