[Tutor] Advice

Warren 'The Howdy Man' Ockrassa warren@nightwares.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 08:01:52 -0600

SHANKAR RAMAMURTHY wrote:

> Hi,

Hi there!

> I am just beginning to learn programming. I'd like to know if Python is a good
> language to begin with. I have no prior programming experience.

It is *superb* for getting started, and pretty darn good even if you are
proficient with programming. It's not as arcane as C, perl or Java (or
permutations thereof), doesn't have extremely difficult syntactic
restrictions, and generally makes your entire life a heck of a lot
easier by doing most of the hard work for you.

The biggest (perceived) disadvantage is you can lose some speed. But
then with desktop machines ticking a gigaflop, who cares about a couple
ticks?

A great place to look over documentation is http://www.python.org/ if
you have not been there yet. If you're the kind who likes decent manuals
and such, they've got recommendations for books to supplement their
already-teriffic online content and links.

Enjoy!

--
    warren ockrassa | nightwares | mailto:warren@nightwares.com
       Bad news hits hard. Only The Indigestible punches back.