[Tutor] Advice

Evgeny Roubinchtein eroubinc@u.washington.edu
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:22:12 -0800 (PST)

On 12 Jan 2000, SHANKAR RAMAMURTHY wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am just beginning to learn programming. I'd like to know if Python is a good
>language to begin with. I have no prior programming experience.

Yes, Python is a very good first language.  Look at
http://www.python.org/, there are way too many useful resources there for
me to list here.  Also, you won't want to miss Alan Gould's excellent
tutorial:

http://members.xoom.com/alan_gauld/tutor/tutindex.htm

>suggestions i have received are for C and Java.

C is not really a good first language, and I would not recommend you
start with it unless you have a project that specifically requires C: you
can learn concepts, such as expressions, statements, conditions, loops,
functions, variables, recursion, objects faster with Python and _then_ go
on to learn C, if you need it.  Java, like C, is a bit low-level. Neither
Java nor C make it easy to test a few lines of code, or a single function
interactively, while Python does -- this can be great help for learning
the language, and trying things out as you go along.

--
Evgeny

You forgot to do your backup 16 days ago.  Tomorrow you will need that version.