[Tutor] Creating a list of lists

Doug Stanfield DOUGS@oceanic.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:26:42 -1000

Go to the interpreter and do some experimenting.  My session is below:

[dougs@lawelawe dougs]$ python
Python 1.5.2 (#1, Apr 18 1999, 16:03:16)  [GCC pgcc-2.91.60 19981201
(egcs-1.1.1  on linux2
>>> list1 = [1,2,3]
>>> list2 = [2,3,4]
>>> list3 = [3,4,5]
>>> the_list = []
>>> the_list.append(list1)
>>> the_list.append(list2)
>>> the_list.append(list3)
>>> the_list
[[1, 2, 3], [2, 3, 4], [3, 4, 5]]

That will translate into more or less the following when you try to put into
use:

...whatever preliminary stuff is required to read the file...
import string
the_outside_list = []  # this will be the final product

# assuming 'lines' might be the output of a readlines()
# someplace above, a list of strings that represent each line of
# the input from the file.  The statement below fills 'each'
# with a single line for further processing.
for each in lines:
    columns = string.split(each,';')  # the output of the split method is a
list
    the_outside_list.append(columns)  # append the list from each line

You'll end up with a list of lists as desired.

-Doug-