[Tutor] Saving Files in PythonWin

Daniel Yoo dyoo@hkn.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 21:24:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 cliffu@earthlink.net wrote:

> Here's a real newbie question: when I am in Pythonwin in
> interactive mode and go to the "File" section, I am offered the
> option to "Save as" after writing some code. I type in a file name
> with a .py extention, and save it. When I exit out, no file with the
> name I saved appears anywhere in my machine. What happened?
> Can't I save while in interactibe mode when using PythonWin?

It's usually more helpful to open up another window (besides the
interpreter window) to do your coding.  The reason for this is because if
you save the interpreter window, you'll have to later edit all the prompts
and the messy stuff out.  The interpreter window is really for viewing the
output of your programs and doing exploration through the system.

Your file is probably saved, but in one of your directories.  You'll
probably need to do a little navigation to find it.  You can always use
the Find command on your Start Menu --- hopefully, that will find it for
you.

Also, it might be good to save your files on the Desktop: that should make
it easy to find again, and your file will appear immediately as an icon on
your screen after you save it.